Saturday 15 October 2011

City of Glass Review

In Lynsey’s book world, some of my favourite words are “sequel” and even better “trilogy” but do you know what tops even that? The following words....”There will be 3 more books in the series”. CUE FULL ON HAPPY DANCE x A GAZILLION!!! I have to say that after reading it, City of Glass AKA book three in the Mortal Instruments series could have wrapped things up quite nicely but by God am I jumping for joy that there are three, yes THREE more books in the series. It’s like Santa came early.

Anyway, I digress. Obviously it goes without saying that you should have read City of Bones and City of Ashes before even thinking about checking out this review and incidently, previous reviews for both books can be found here and here. For everyone else, let me just say that OMG THIS BOOK TOTALLY BLEW ME AWAY! It is easily my favourite book of the series so far. City of Glass is full of action and adventure only this time we’re in Idris and everything is building up to a climax. Here’s the synopsis:

“To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her new found powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost?”

You know what I love about Simon? He never ceases to surprise me and I personally think that he is completely awesome. Not only does he have some of the best one liners that make me laugh out loud but he (like Clary actually) is such an unlikely hero and this makes me love him even more. He may not be the romantic lead but he would make a fabulous boyfriend and I just wanted to get that out there.

Don’t worry though, I’m still totally in love with Jace as he continues to go through the mill (see City of Ashes). It’s quite obvious that it’s becoming harder and harder for him and Clary to fight their feelings for each other and Jace takes it upon himself to make the ultimate sacrifice for her. Well he would, wouldn’t he....HE’S JACE! Clary continues to surprise me with her hidden talents and Valentine is such a wonderful, multi layered bad guy that even when I try to hate him, I can’t. Not fully anyway so I can totally relate to Jace’s feelings about his father. Speaking of bad guys, I haven’t quite made my mind up about The Seelie Court Queen. I don’t think she is bad per say, but I do think she is mischievous and will twist any truth if it serves her purpose. I just know we haven’t seen the last of her. AND....we get to meet a new character called Sebastian. Trust me when I tell you that you’re going to be seeing a lot more of him ;)

There are plenty of revelations and explanations in this book as a lot of things seem to reach a jaw dropping climax as downworlders and shadowhunters come together for the first time in history for the fight of their lives...and not everyone is going to make it. I laughed, I cried, I may have even shouted at one point but I loved every minute of it. City of Glass was perfect and I can’t wait to read the next book!

City of Glass was published on 24th March, 2009. TO find out more about Cassandra Clare and her books, please click here to visit her website. She is also active on Facebook and Twitter. Check out the official trailer:



Or this AWESOME fanmade trailer

3 comments:

  1. Huh. Interesting review. I love bad guys that are so complex you almost can relate to them being evil.

    At the same time I started City of Bones and never finished it. Why? I have absolutely no idea right now. It was a while ago. The characters didn't grip me. I'm a total character girl. But now it sounds like they have advanced since then, so maybe I should look back on my decision.

    Again, a bit oddly, if I see the word "sequel", "trilogy", or especially anything more than that, and I may very well just stick it back on the book shelf. I like stand alones. I feel like I'm a bit of a minority, here. But stand alones don't allow themselves loose ends or scenes that are fun but essentially pointless. Their arcs don't drag out so far that they start to sag in the middle in a dispirited sigh of too many plot complications, characters who stay in stasis or bloom in ridiculous ways, and the general feeling that I just want to get it over with already. Stand alones compel not one extra word. They are relentless and distilled to a heady shot.

    That said, I'm working on my first trilogy and finding it an interesting exercise in a new writing form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments!! Bets, I would definitely recommend picking these books back up as they're fantastic. I know what you mean about books that you know are part of a series and this is one of the reasons I have never started the Morganville Vampire series (7 books?!) but once I fall in love with a book, I like nothing better than to know that the story will continue :)

    ReplyDelete