Monday 24 December 2012

Crushed Review

For seventeen-year-old serial womanizer Fletch Colson, life is a game and if he plays by the rules, he’ll win it all: his dream college, his parents’ money, and a hot (if a little vapid) girl on his arm. Really, it couldn’t be easier. All he has to do is get good grades, live a privileged boarding school life, and try not to mess up too much.

However, when he accepts the seemingly impossible bet to change his ways and be “just friends” with smart, beautiful, tempting Ellie Jacobs – a girl who seems hell bent on confusing him - Fletch’s whole world is turned upside down.

Suddenly, what seemed simple and clear, no longer feels right and Fletch must decide if winning it all is worth losing a piece of himself.

I am a huge fan of Dawn’s writing and by the very first paragraph which is definitely OUT THERE, you know that Crushed is going to be a VERY different book from her previous books, Larkstorm and Nightingale.  The cover is simple yet effective and I like the fact that she’s gone down the contemporary route with this novel.  What I LOVE most though is that the story is told by Fletch, a male protagonist. Dawn NAILED his voice which is something she does so well and like always, the dialogue is spot on. 

Crushed tells the story of Fletch, a teenager at a boarding school who is going through the motions, until his real life can begin.  It’s a journey of friendship, lust, love and ultimately self discovery.  Fletch is not a bad boy per se but is a player.  He sleeps around, he drinks and dabbles in occasional drug use but he’s also smart and doesn’t let his extracurricular activities interfere with getting good grades.  He’s playing the game while having a little fun on the side and after all, it’s expected at least according to his father.  As it turns out, things are a little complicated with his childhood friend Calista who keeps mind fucking Fletch (and not in a good way) and basically no one thinks he can be “just friends” with any girl.  Fletch is determined to prove everyone wrong but is he even capable of this?  And at what cost?

I normally groan when I see that a story is set at a boarding school but it’s usually a paranormal story and the character is the stereotypical new kid.  Not so in this case.  I have to be honest and say that sometimes I have a rocky relationship with contemp stories but I did enjoy this one.  It’s not just about Fletch and the girls at school, it’s also about his family and his relationships with others, it’s about Fletch growing up and maybe even growing a pair of balls.

Whilst I love Fletch, I have to give a little shout out to Brady, Fletch’s best friend who might be a manwhore but he does have a six pack (and I’m not talking about beer) and a cheeky personality.  I loved the bromance between him and Fletch and his graduation speech? PRICELESS.  I guess I have a little soft spot for him.

Crushed is a standalone contemporary that is both edgy and real.  I really enjoyed sharing Fletch’s journey and by the end, I felt like I knew him inside and out.  I would definitely recommend this to contemporary fans.  

Crushed was published on 11th December, 2012.  To find out more about Dawn Rae Miller and her books, please click here to visit her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment