Sunday 23 June 2013

Epilogue Review



I’m writing this because you begged. You know how I love the begging. In fact, you probably know too many things and know them far too well.

Who am I?

Well, that’s what I’m trying to figure out. I was a whore in my youth, a killer since my adolescence, and a monster as a man. I am the man who kidnapped Livvie. I am the man who held her in a dark room for weeks. But, most importantly, I am the man she loves.

She loves me. It’s quite sick, isn’t it?

Of course, there’s more to our story than can be surmised in a few short sentences, but I’m at a loss for justifying my behavior back then. I assume if you’re reading this, I don’t need to make those justifications. You’ve already made your own.

You’re reading this because you want to know about the rest of the story. You want to know what happened that warm summer night in September of 2010, the night I met Livvie at The Paseo. It was the night my life changed all over again.

It didn’t happen exactly as Livvie said. She’s been very kind to me in the retelling of our story. The truth is far more…complicated.


Epilogue is the third and presumably final book in the Dark Duet series and was obviously written for the fans.  Given the title of the series, it’s clear that there were only meant to be two books but the fans begged and the author delivered.  I have to say, I couldn’t pass up on a little more of Caleb and as I’m already invested in the series, I was curious to hear what Caleb had to say.  I’m sure it probably goes  without saying but I’ll say it anyway, if you haven’t read Captive in the Dark (review here and Seduced in the Dark (review here) then please do not read on as you will encounter spoilers for the rest of the series.   Just go and get the first book which is still on offer for 77p for the rest of June and start from there.

At the end of Seduced in the Dark, there was an epilogue written from Livvie’s point of view and we thought the series was all wrapped up.   Then came Epilogue which is entirely written from Caleb’s point of view and lets the reader know what happened AFTER everything went down.  Can Caleb and Livvie’s relationship survive in the real world? How will they cope with normalcy?

I thought it was fascinating to see Caleb try to live a normal life and have a normal relationship with the woman he has come to love.  When I say normalcy, I don’t want you to think that either of them have forgotten the past.  They are most definitely still battling their demons but I particularly enjoyed the role reverse in terms of power within the relationship and how this time, Caleb is the one who has to work for her affection.  Livvie makes Caleb want to be a better man and that just melts my heart.  He holds back what he wants and tries to give Livvie what she needs in order to be with her.

I know this is a book for the fans and part of me feels like it was slightly rushed (I certainly found a few spelling/grammar mistakes that I hadn’t found in the other books, but only a few) and to be honest, whilst I’m not entirely sure we needed this book, as a fan I wanted it.  This is one of the most captivating book series I’ve ever read and it has certainly taken me beyond my boundaries.  I have loved every moment of reading these books and I will definitely read anything C.J. Roberts writes in the future.

Epilogue was published on 11th June, 2013.  To find out more about C.J. Roberts and her books, please click here to visit her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment