Monday 20 August 2012

Onyx Review



Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…


This book series is like crack to me.  For reals.  If you haven’t read Obsidian yet (review here) then get thee to an online book store immediately!  It goes without saying that you need to read that first and also Shadows (review here) before reading this review as you will encounter spoilers and you have been warned.  

If you thought the stakes were high in Obsidian, just wait until you read Onyx.  I’ll admit that I had my own theories on where I thought the story might go but Jennifer always keeps us on our toes and it was nice to encounter things that I didn’t see coming.  I swear to God, if she wrote about postage stamps, I’d still read it and anything else she writes in the history of the world, to infinity and beyond.  

Daemon and Katy are the hottest couple-who-haven’t-yet-defined-their-relationship-properly EVER.  In Obsidian, we saw a VERY hot love/hate thing between them and in Onyx, it’s interesting to see that their relationship only really blossoms when Blake (AKA the new guy) saunters onto the scene and threatens it.   Cue some very swoonworthy scenes.  Sparks are DEFINITELY still flying and we learn more about the “bizarro” connection between Daemon and Katy that came into being in Obsidian and what that means for them both.  Is it just the connection that has forced them to have feelings for each other?  You’ll certainly enjoy finding out.

I have to say that one of the things I really enjoyed about the book was seeing Daemon show Katy what “normal” looks like and having meaningful conversations together instead of just flirting or sparring with each other.   Don’t get me wrong, the two have some serious chemistry but it was nice to see a contrast.

The tension is so thick in this book, you could cut it with a knife because not only are Daemon and Katy trying to figure out their relationship, they’re also trying to avoid the Department of Defense who are sniffing around more than ever.  Obviously, I can’t say a lot about the plot but there are some VERY big surprises in there and some fantastic scenes.  It’s very difficult to keep my mouth shut at this point but I will tell you that Onyx is just as enjoyable as Obsidian and as always, I cannot wait for the next book in the series, entitled Opal.  You learn the significance of the title in Onyx as well as a little hint into what book three has in store for us.  I never thought I would say this about 2012 but December can’t come soon enough.

Onyx was published on 14th August, 2012.  To find out more about Jennifer L. Armentrout, please click here to visit her website.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED IT!!!! Can't wait for the next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ZOMG I have to get this series - stop it you are making my wish-list go KABOOM

    ReplyDelete