Sunday 8 September 2013

Letterbox Love (#68)

As always, Letterbox Love is a weekly feature that I'm hosting on the blog and basically, the idea came out of a discussion with other UK book bloggers about the need to do a weekly meme with more of a British feel to it. Therefore, Letterbox Love was born and the logo was lovingly designed by Dark Readers. Letterbox Love is a way for us to share the books that come through our letterbox, galleys and e books (through our electronic letterbox) and any other bookish goodies that we want to tell you about. Letterbox Love is intended to showcase upcoming books and build up some excitement for them as well as let you know what is available out there. It is not about competing with other bloggers or boasting of any kind (c'mon, we're British and we don't do drama!)

Review Books

 
  
How To Love by Kate Cotugno (Unsolicited)
This is a messy love story and I *think* it's bordering on the fringes of older YA.  I think it sounds awesome and has had a good reception from across the pond.

Styx by Sherrilyn Kenyon (Unsolicited)
This is book TWENTY THREE in the Dark Hunter series, a series I've never read and am not about to start now.  This is one for the library, I'm afraid.

Shine by Candy Gourlay (Unsolicited)
This is the latest offering from the author that wrote Tall Story.  It's about a thirteen year old girl and so I'm not sure that I will read it to be honest. 

 Monsters by Ilsa J. Blick (Unsolicited)
This is the third book in the Ashes series, and not a series I've started YET.  Mostly, I think,  because I was afraid to LOL.

A Foot in the Grave by Joan Aiken and Jan Pienkowski (Unsolicited)
Apparently, this is a collection of spooky ghost stories that are good for people who scare easily.  Sounds like a book I can actually read this coming Halloween!  This is an old book I believe, and has been re-released just in time for Halloween.

Hurt by Tabitha Suzuma
It's no secret that I didn't enjoy Tabitha's first novel.  In fact, it's one of the only books I've ever DNF'd and it had nothing to do with the controversial content, as I hadn't even got to that bit yet!  I'm always willing to give an author another chance though, especially if the synopsis intrigues me therefore, I'm diving in with this one and going to give it my best shot. 


 

The Backs by Alison Bruce (Unsolicited) 
I have no idea why I was sent a crime novel as I don't read this genre and it's a shame it turned up the day after my dad left as he would have been the most likely recipient.  I guess I'll be sending it to him then. 



Thank You Publishers!!!


Books Bought


All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
This is one of my favourite books in the entire world. EVER. I might have a UK copy already but I pre ordered the US hardback eons ago because THAT'S how awesome this book is.  I can't recommend it highly enough.

Deception by C.J. Redwine
This is the sequel to Defiance, a book I thoroughly enjoyed.  I'm a huge fan of C.J. both as an author and as a person so I can't wait to read her next book.  Naturally, this is the US hardback to add to my collection. 



EBooks 

The Boy Who Loved Me by Dusti Bowling (Bought)
I love the synopsis for this book - a rich girl goes to a party where the aim is to bring the worst date you can, and she brings a church boy but he happens to get under her skin and then she can't stop thinking about him.  I'm intrigued.

Chosen by Emma Clark (Bought)
This is a short, adult novella with very adult themes.  It sounds a bit sick but I'm wondering if there might be an element of Stockholm Syndrome in there which is something that fascinates me.  Not a book for everyone but I'm intrigued enough to give it a go.

Teaching Melody by Emma Clark (Bought)
This is another short novella, possibly adult, possibly New Adult since it features an eighteen year old girl having an affair with her friend's dad.  Again, possibly not a book for everyone but I think Emma Clark writes some really intriguing stories from the sounds of things and they sound like quick reads.

Troll by Emma Clark (Bought) 
Hands up if you thought this was a love story about a troll? Well, you'd be wrong.  This is an erotic short story about someone trolling the internet (hence the title). 

Baby Daddy by Emma Clark (Bought)
Another adult, novella about a woman who has a baby with her nineteen year old step son.  Sometimes I think Emma Clark is out to shock with her synopses but they definitely do catch my attention as being something different from the norm and worth investigating.

Stripped by H.M. Ward (Bought)
This is a New Adult romance that sounds great but I get really confused when prolific writers bring out new books and new series, I'm hoping this is the first book in the series. 

Out of Line by Jen McLaughlin (Bought)
This is a New Adult offering from Diane Alberts writing as Jen McLaughlin featuring a marine by day and a surfer by night.  YES PLEASE. 

Girl with Guitar by Kylie Ryans (Bought)
I might have lost the plot with Nashville but now I can live vicariously through this book.  I like the fact that the main protagonist is a girl since so many books feature hot male rockers these days.

The Transfer by Veronica Roth (Bought)
I'm a HUGE fan of Veronica Roth, and so there was no way in hell that I wasn't going to get this.  

On Christmas Hill by Nichole Chase (Bought)
I loved Suddenly Royal, and so when I saw this book by the same author, I jumped on it.  It's a short Christmas story and you can never start gathering Christmas books too early.

Hydraulic Level Five by Sarah Latchaw (Bought)
I keep hearing about this book and whilst I'm still not clear on the reasons for the title and what it's about past two people who were in love and their relationship ended, I'm still intrigued, mostly by the title. 

Warm Up by V.E. Schwab (Bought)
I love short stories, especially if they relate to longer books from the same author.  I'm incredibly curious about Vicious (which comes out soon) and this is a prequel to that book.  You can actually read it for free on Tor.com but I wanted my own copy.

The Things I do for You by M. Malone (Bought)
I love books about brothers and this is the second book in the Alexander's series.  
 
Chasing Mrs Right by Katee Robert (Bought)
I loved the first book in this series and so naturally, I had to follow on with it. A sexy soldier with a wounded soul? Yep, I have to read about that.

Two Wrongs, One Right by Katee Robert (Bought)
This is the third book in the series and again, I love these books so I had to get it.

Unteachable by Leah Raeder (Bought)
This book kind of reminds me of the teacher plot line in Pretty Little Liars.  Girl meets a guy and has a one night stand with him and then he turns out to be her teacher.  It's been done before but it's a successful trope and one that I still want to read about.

Diary of a Dieter by Marie Coulson (Bought)
I've seen nothing but five star reviews for this book and you know what? Everyone says it's hilarious and I love a funny book so I had to get it.  Can't wait to get started.  Also, YAY for a curvy protagonist.

Arclight by McQuien L.Josin (Bought)
It was BookAngel Emma's fault that I bought this since I read her review of it (we have the same tastes and could basically be twins). I think the concept sounds interesting and I'm definitely intrigued.

The Bane by Keary Taylor (Bought)
This was a book known as Eden but the title has recently changed due to reader demand apparently.  It's futuristic and almost sounds a little zombie like with words like 'infected' being thrown around.  I've always been against zombie novels but always loved zombie movies (I just watched World War Z and WOW, it was awesome) but I might just be coming around to zombies in books after all.  Sounds interesting and is part of a series.

Come Undone by Madelynne Ellis (Netgalley - For Review)
I like the synopsis for this book and whilst it features a hot rocker, the plot sounds fresh and interesting.

Note to Self by Peter Ward (Netgalley - For Review)
This is a little known book by a little known author that I think sounds really interesting.  It's a bit futuristic and I love the cover.

One of the good things about doing Letterbox Love each week is that it makes you keep a track of what you're buying and when you need to reel it back in a bit - I definitely need to stop buying so many ebooks as no wonder I have no money!  I'm currently reading Light of the Moon by David James and after that, I have no idea yet.  I'm surrounded by awesome books that sometimes it makes it hard to choose what to read next!  Anyway, I hope you had a great week for books and as always, please share your links below.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are well stocked for some great reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another nice haul of ebooks! Looks like some great books, hope you enjoy them :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you have to read Ilsa J Bick's series - it's fantastic! Promise :)

    ReplyDelete