Tuesday 7 May 2013

Taken By Storm Review


 DECEPTION

Maddie Simcoe knows the devastation that comes from keeping secrets. Now, she's desperate to move on from the heartbreak that almost destroyed her -- trading wild passion that once made her knees weak for a life of comfortable stability. But before Maddie can start over, she must return home to put the past behind her once and for all...

PASSION

When Maddie blows back into MJ Rocha's life, nothing will stop him from proving to her that walking away from him was the biggest mistake of her life -- not even the engagement ring she wears. Her every look, every touch tells MJ that the fire that once raged between them still burns hot, and MJ won't give up until Maddie gives in to the inferno.

REDEMPTION

Trapped by a hurricane roaring through Turtle Tear Island, MJ and Maddie find shelter in each others' arms. While the lightning flashes, MJ and Maddie are helpless to fight bonds of desire that tie them together. But just as they're about to surrender to the torturous longing that consumes them both, the storm unleashes violent secrets from MJ's past...secrets that could wash away all MJ and Maddie's hopes of forever...

Back in November 2012, I fell in love with a little self published book called Taken by debut author Kelli Maine.  It was a WOW book for me and thank God the sequel, No Take Backs was immediately available as I quickly devoured that too.  No Take Backs left us with a hell of a revelation and now comes the aftermath in Taken by Storm, a highly anticipated book that I feel like I’ve been waiting forever to read.  I must advise that you should read Taken (review here) and No Take Backs (review here before continuing to read this review as you will encounter spoilers for the series.  Also, please bear in mind that these are adult books (although you could consider Taken by Storm to be a New Adult book because of the age of the main characters) but I’m trying to tell you that the series does have mature content and scenes of a sexual nature.

Taken by Storm is MJ’s story – that’s Merrick Junior to those of you who haven’t been paying attention ;)  As a teenager, Merrick got a girl pregnant and his father ‘made the problem go away’.  Merrick had no idea that he had a son in the world until recently when Rachel found out the real reason Merrick’s father was going after his fortune – for MJ’s sake.  At least that’s his story and he’s sticking to it.  MJ is now twenty years old, about to meet Merrick for the first time and he’s nervous as hell.  Throw in a rocky romance with a childhood sweetheart who broke his heart when she left town and now she’s back on the scene.  MJ is in a bit of a state, God bless him.

Taken by Storm is written in the third person which allows us to explore both MJ and Maddie’s point of view, something I greatly appreciated. MJ was wonderful to watch in action, he really is just a less mature version of Merrick and I loved his history with Maddie.  I have to say that I didn’t think I could fall for TWO Rocha men simultaneously but apparently I can!  As MJ is a little young for me though, I’m going to stick with the original ;)

Maddie is the housekeeper’s daughter and has grown up with MJ.  As young teenagers, their feelings morphed into something more but Maddie got scared and ran.  Now she’s back and MJ wants to know why she left and broke his heart but Maddie is hiding secrets bigger than the both of them. MJ and Maddie were basically on a collision course with each other from the moment they met and I really didn't think that anything was going to keep them apart, but not for want of trying!  I remember hearing Kelli say once that she struggled sometimes to write the romance and to this I say pffttt.....It was DEFINITELY romantic.  Rachel and Merrick do obviously make appearances throughout the book as well as Enzo Rocha and all the old characters from the first book.  We’re also introduced to a couple of new ones that I have a feeling are going to play a very big part in future books.

I really enjoyed the story (as always) and I always love returning to Turtle Tear.  I especially enjoy the continuing theme of finding out the history behind Ingrid and Archibald Weston (the founders).  I’m wondering if we’ll see more of that in book three (Okay, I KNOW we will!)

I can’t wait to read more from this series and the spin off series featuring MJ.  The only downer is that at the moment, the books are not available on kindle in the UK because Taken is now being published traditionally and at present, the series does not have a UK publisher.  You can still get the paperbacks but it would be nice to have the option.  I keep saying that a UK publisher needs to pick this series up as it TOTALLY deserves it!! I just wish they'd listen *sigh*

Taken By Storm is published on 7th May, 2013. To find out more about Kelli Maine and her books, please click here to visit her website.

I did promise that with this review, I would include a picture of me rocking my TEAM MERRICK t-shirt and so here I am in all my glory! (Sorry about the shocking quality).

1 comment: