Sunday 26 May 2013

Letterbox Love (#54)

As always, Letterbox Love is a weekly feature that I'm hosting on the blog and basically, the idea came out of a discussion with other UK book bloggers about the need to do a weekly meme with more of a British feel to it. Therefore, Letterbox Love was born and the logo was lovingly designed by Dark Readers. Letterbox Love is a way for us to share the books that come through our letterbox, galleys and e books (through our electronic letterbox) and any other bookish goodies that we want to tell you about. Letterbox Love is intended to showcase upcoming books and build up some excitement for them as well as let you know what is available out there. It is not about competing with other bloggers or boasting of any kind (c'mon, we're British and we don't do drama!)

Behold, the week of awesome books...

Review Books


Invisibility by David Levithan and Andrea Cremer
I've been wanting to read this for ages now and I'm so glad that it's being published in the UK.  I love both of these writers. This is about a boy who is invisible and a girl who is the only person who can see him.

Transparent by Natalie Whipple
This has been a long time coming! I've been reading Natalie's blog for a couple of years now and I can't believe that her book is FINALLY here.  This is a book about a girl who's invisible.  Literally.

Vortex by S.J. Kincaid
I LOVED Insignia (the first book) and I'm even quoted in the UK paperback.  This is the sequel which I'm very excited to read!

The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau
The cover of this book reminds me of the US cover of Divergent or even The Hunger Games.  This is a YA dystopian novel and sounds like it could have a lot of potential.

Nowhere by Jon Robinson
This sounds awesome, I love a good mystery novel where the characters and the readers have to go on a journey together to figure out what the hell is going on.

The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen
Don't be too shocked but I've never read a Sarah Dessen book.  I figured I would start with this YA romance that sounds like a perfect Summer read.



Oksa Pollock: The Last Hope by Anne Plichota and Cendrine Wolf
I'm not quite sure what to make of this one, especially as the protagonist is a thirteen year old girl.  Sounds like a supernatural fantasy that's had some comparisons with the Harry Potter series. 

Shift by Hugh Howey (Unsolicited)
This is the sequel to Wool, a book I haven't read yet but one that's had some pretty amazing reviews.  I can't work out if it's a YA or an adult dystopian but it's had some comparisons to The Hunger Games.  I'm definitely intrigued to start reading the series.  

Dusk by Eve Edwards
I'm really looking forward to this one as it's billed as a beautiful love story set against the backdrop of World War I and it's Young Adult.  I do love these sorts of books. 

Beautiful Stranger by Christina Lauren
I really enjoyed Beautiful Bastard and this is the sequel.  Looking forward to a sexy, funny read.

Spy for the Queen of Scots by Theresa Brelin (Unsolicited) 
I don't really know why I was sent this and I can't see myself getting round to reading this so I think this is one for the library I'm afraid. 




Fire (Hammer) by Sara B. Elfgren and Mats Strandberg (Unsolicited)
I didn't realise at first but this is the sequel to Circle - which I haven't read yet.  It's about witches and it's probably something I would enjoy. 

Thank You Publishers!!!!

Books Bought


September Girls by Bennett Madison
This has a gorgeous cover and looks like a good Summer read.  I believe it has something to do with mermaids but the real reason I wanted this book was because it's a YA book written by a guy and that always intrigues me.



eBooks

Safe Word by Teresa Mummert (Bought)
This is a contemporary romance/erotic title with a very sexy cover.  I saw some quotes from this book on Facebook that made me want it so I pre ordered and it's been released early!

Juilliard or Else by Nichele Reese (Bought)
This is a New Adult contemporary book that reminds me A LOT of Save The Last Dance, a movie I really liked.  I think it sounds awesome. 

Locked by Maya Cross (Bought)
This is a novella and the start of a new and erotic sounding series (think Fifty Shades).  I'm intrigued enough to give it a go and at only 76p, you can't really go far wrong. 

Lockout by Maya Cross (Bought)
Another short novel and the second book in this series.  I'm confused as to why this is a short novel and could it not have just been joined with the first book to make an actual full length novel?

Playing Patience by Tabatha Vargo (Bought)
I've read some reviews that say this book reminded them of Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire and I've seen someone else describe the book as "disturbing".  Those comments alone made me want to read this New Adult contemporary romance.

Tangled by Emma Chase (Bought)
I'm a huge fan of Wallbanger by Alice Clayton and this book sounds a lot like the same style.  I've heard that it's funny as well as romantic and it sounds like it's got my name all over it.  I wanted to wait for the price to come down but in the end, I couldn't!

The Do Over by A.L. Zaun (Bought)
A book about a girl who prefers book boyfriends to real guys until her friends stage an intervention and then she meets a firefighter?  OMG, WHAT?  I definitely want to read this one.

Trophy Husband by Lauren Blakely (Bought)
This sounds awesome and I've been waiting for it to be released for some time now, I just hope it lives up to my expectations!

Off Sides by Sawyer Bennett (Bought)
This is a contemporary romance novel, not sure if it's New Adult but it sounds like it.  I've seen nothing but good reviews for this.

Off Limits by Sawyer Bennett (Bought) 
I think this is more like a companion novel rather than a sequel and it sounds like you don't have to have read the first book to enjoy this one.  I have to admit that this grabbed my attention first as one of the main characters is an ex military man back.  Initially, I thought this was written by a guy but nope, the author is indeed female. 

Stealing Harper by Molly McAdams (Bought)
It's hard to explain why I bought this book especially as I had A LOT of issues with Taking Chances - I never did post my review as it was basically one big rant.  With that in mind, it seems strange that I wanted to read this book which is basically the same story, told from Chance's point of view.  I do hate myself for wanting to read it but I have to.  I can't help myself.  It's like not being able to turn away from a car wreck or something like that. 

Crossing the Line by Katie McGarry (Free)
This is a Pushing The Limits novella and a must get as I loved the first book.

How to Talk to Girls at Parties by Neil Gaiman (Free)
I admit it, I've never read a Neil Gaiman book and this short story seems like as good a place to start as any. 

Inhale by Kendall Grey (Free)
Sounds interesting as it has a touch of the paranormal about it and this is the first book in the series.  It was free so I will see if I like it.

Reason to Breathe by Rebecca Donovan (Free)
I've heard great things about this book and whilst I have a paperback (that I still haven't read) I saw that this was free and thought I'd get it for my eBook collection as sometimes I prefer to read on my iPad.

Rebel by Dawn Rae Miller (For Review) 
I'm a massive fan of Dawn Rae Miller and this is her latest book in the Larkstorm saga and a must read for fans like me.  

Take me Back by Kelli Maine (Netgalley - For Review)
I am a HUGE fan of Kelli Maine and I've read every book in this series so far, despite the challenges of being declined on Netgalley ALL THE TIME and the difficulty in obtaining these books in the UK.  I persevere though and this is a read it now galley for a limited time.  Obviously, you should have read the other books in the series before this one otherwise nothing will make sense but I highly recommend them!

So yes, this week has been AWESOME for books and once again I am overwhelmed with what to read next!  I also have a few books I need to beta read for people (not listed here of course) so I might start with those and give myself a break while I work on reviews.  I'm also going on holiday soon so expect a little break there although I'll try to post SOME things.  I just finished reading Raine Miller's series (I started so I thought I may as well finish) and trust me when I tell you that you need to pre order All Our Yesterday's by Cristin Terrill which is AMAZING and my new favourite book of the year.  In the meantime, I hope you had a great week for books and as always, please share your links below.


6 comments:

  1. Ooh Vortex! I'm reading it at the moment but not enjoying it as much as Insignia. I hope you like it more! Wool, I really want to read some time soon. And wow, that's a lot. Have fun with it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you got some interesting books! I finally have time to read, blog & read reviews again, so it's interesting seeing what's out there at the moment :)
    ~Ailsa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worship Sarah Dessen so I hope you enjoy The Moon and More!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Invisiability and Transparent in Waterstones the other day and really had some trouble walking away , they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooo lots of great books here! I only read my first Dessen last year and I've read a couple now, they are a bit hit and miss for me though so I look orward to hearing what you think about The Moon and More!
    Hope you enjoy! x

    ReplyDelete