Tuesday 14 August 2012

Touched Review

Nick Cross always listens to the voice in his head. Because if he doesn't? Things can go really, really wrong. Like the day he decided to go off script and saved a girl from being run over . . . and let another one drown. Trying to change the future doesn't work.

But this summer at the Jersey Shore, something's about to happen that Nick never could have predicted. He meets a girl named Taryn and finds out about the Book of Touch. Now the path that he thought he was on begins to shift . . . and there's no way to stop things from happening. Or is there?

In a life where there are no surprises, nothing has prepared Nick for what he's about to discover--or the choice he will be forced to make. . . .

I want to start by saying that I think Cyn Balog’s books really deserve a lot more attention than they get.  They deserve to be bestsellers really.  Touched was WOW, reaaaaally good.   Cyn always comes up with the best, most original ideas that never fail to entertain me.  I understood every part of the book perfectly and the plot was flawless.  Every question I had was answered and there was nothing left to explain.

Nick wasn’t the usual romantic hero and I found that refreshing.   He was a decent enough guy but he stumbles over his words sometimes and is considered by many of his peers to be a freak.  Known as “Crazy Cross”, he lives with the curse of knowing his future which can change in a heartbeat depending on whether he “stays on script”.  One day, he deviates and it sets a series of events in motion that will change his life forever.

Nick’s mother was an interesting character in that it seemed like she had given up.  She has locked herself away from the world, presumably because not interacting with people makes it easier to live with the curse but is that really a life worth living?

I really liked Taryn and how she gave Nick a chance.  I enjoyed learning about her spooky family history and I liked the part she played in the story as she wasn’t JUST the love interest.   Also, a little shout out to Super Gran who was just fab.

Touched definitely has a touch of the supernatural and it’s nice to read a standalone book sans cliffhanger ending.   Prepare to laugh, cry and root for the unlikely hero in this book which cannot fail to touch you...in a good way.

Touched is published on 14th August, 2012.  To find out more about Cyn Balog, please click here to visit her website.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read anything by Cyn Balog, but I've heard great things about her writing. I'm so glad Touched wasn't a disappointment because I've really been wanting to raed this one! It sounds like a really good read and something I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete