Thursday 23 August 2012

Dreamless Review


 

Can true love be forgotten?

As the only scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out--a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies' cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen's sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.

Josephine Angelini's compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding as an unforgettable love triangle emerges and the eternal cycle of revenge intensifies. Eagerly awaited, this sequel to the internationally bestselling "Starcrossed" delivers a gritty, action-packed love story that exceeds all expectations.

OMG how I love this series and I’m not exaggerating when I say that I’ve been desperate to read Dreamless for months!!!   This is the kind of book where you drop EVERYTHING and hide yourself away from the world so you can read it immediately.  Heaven forbid, anyone disturb you (don’t worry; you’ll be so engrossed you probably won’t hear them anyway).  If you haven’t read Starcrossed yet (review here) then please, please, please pick that up first as there will undoubtedly be spoilers for the first book in this review.  

As you may remember, our starcrossed-not-quite-lovers-yet found out a shocking secret which means that they can never truly be together.  And even though it’s complete and utter bullshit, the only people that know are, for their own reasons, keeping very tight lipped.   In Dreamless, basically we see that  Helen and Lucas naturally gravitate towards each other despite their best efforts to stay away from each other and so Lucas takes his father’s questionable advice and tries to make her hate him.  Oh, Lucas *le sigh*.  You want angst? You got it.  OH, THE ANGST.  There’s so much angst that even *I* could barely cope so how Helen managed, I’ll never know.   To top it all off, every night she descends into the underworld to try to find the Furies and undo all the blood debt and ultimately, the hating between the houses.  And when I say she descends, Helen goes down there IN HER BODY which is gradually taking its toll on her.  Thank God she finds help down there in the shape of Orion, a scion and new character for the series. Cue a love triangle of sorts.  Due to Lucas’s actions (and the misguided knowledge that they can never be together) she starts to think of Orion as a hot best friend and the attraction is mutual.  EEP!  But there may just be more to Orion than meets the eye and together, they will have to find their way through the underworld.  But what of Lucas?  I’m saying nothing, just read the book ;)

There were some fantastic scenes in Dreamless and my very favourite is right at the beginning of the book when Lucas and Helen brush hands in the school hallway.  So simple yet so full of meaning.   I also enjoyed how the Furies storyline played out which was really clever and I liked being introduced to new characters, even if they threaten the relationship between Helen and my beloved Lucas.

I loved Dreamless as much as I thought I would and I just want more, more, more.  I adore both the story and the characters and Josephine Angelini’s writing lets me lose myself for a while.  She is now firmly on my automatic pre-order list and I’d consider selling a body part to read the next book right now.  I’m not even sure that I’m joking.   

Dreamless was published on 29th May, 2012 in the US and 5th July, 2012 in the UK.  To find out more about Josephine Angelini and her books, please click here to visit her website. 


8 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I have kit read Dreamless or Starcrossed, hadn't even heard of them before now, but ill definitely look at them now!
    I prefer happy endings rather than angst filled, Dang be with each other endings, but that's ok. I love Greek mythology though.
    Great review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word, you need to read these!! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. Oh the angst! Haha this book made me insane. Those are the best kind though, right? My heart was breaking along with Helen and Lucas. I just wanted to shake them and tell them that it wasn't true and they could be together but of course I couldn't because they aren't real. I had so many feelings I can't even remember how long my review was. I need Goddess so, so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucas really annoyed me in this book so it was easy to fall for Orion-he was so much cooler and I adore him even if Helen didn't appreciate him the way she should with being all hung up on stupid Lucas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucas had a personality transplant for some of it but I still loved him even then because I knew it was an act. I'm not sure how I feel about Orion, I don't fully trust him. Thank for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Oh my.. I kind of hate Lucas after Dreamless.. Orion is the cool guy here.. Wasn't there some dumb reason Lucas can't be with her? I hate it when characters self sacrifice then they both suffer

    ~Ariella @ A Sprinkle of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I'm hoping it all gets resolved in Goddess. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete