Monday 6 August 2012

Stolen Night Review


“Lenah Beaudonte should be dead. But having sacrificed herself to save another, she finds herself awakening with strange powers that are neither vampire nor human - and a new enemy on her trail. In her vampire life, Lenah had thought that being human was all she ever wanted; but the human heart suffers pain, heartbreak and loss. With her new powers growing and the dark force of the Nex after her soul, Lenah faces a choice: between the mortal love of gorgeous Justin, whose passion fed her human soul, and taking a different path to become the mistress of her own destiny, wherever that may lead...”

Remember that refreshing vampire novel called Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel that was published back in 2010?  Remember the shocking ending and how you couldn’t wait to read the sequel to find out what happened to Lena?  Well, NOW YOU CAN.  Well, at least if you live in the UK, make friends with someone in the UK who will send you a copy or order the UK version direct ;)  Obviously, it goes without saying that if you haven’t read Infinite Days, please go no further as you will encounter spoilers.  Alternatively, you can read my review for Infinite Days here if you’re interested.

This is by far one of the toughest reviews I’ve ever had to write because I cannot say ANYTHING about the plot.  Let’s just say that I had my fair share of theories on where I thought the story would go next (which was one of the driving forces behind me wanting to read the book) but WOW, by page fifteen, Rebecca had floored me.  Bravo girlie, it was the best ‘out of left field’ moment ever.  Once again, the novel throws up questions about who deserves forgiveness and if you can really achieve redemption after committing such unspeakable acts.  I wanted to feel sorry for Lenah and other characters in the book and whilst part of me did (I’m not a soulless monster!) a lot of me didn’t and that surprised me.  I didn’t harbour any ill will for Lenah et al but I felt like they were being served a healthy piece of justice pie and they should just suck it up.

Overall, I enjoyed Stolen Night a lot including the intentionally confusing prologue that paves the way for the next book in the series.  I do wonder if time travel will feature at some point (that’s the ONLY clanger I’m going to drop in this review!!) but I have no doubt that Rebecca will give us something amazing.    Stolen Night is a very worthy sequel with a profound quality that will have you reeling for days afterwards.

As an addendum, I have to say that I’m a little disappointed in the lack of fanfare that this book has received in the UK although I was happy to see it on the shelves a few days before the official release day.  Whilst I like the cover, I’m bitterly disappointed that it’s not a hardback like the first book and so now they don’t match on the shelves.  I do however like the redesign for the US paperbacks.

Stolen Night is the UK title and the book was published on 5th July, 2012.  It will be published in the US as Stolen Nights in January, 2013.  To find out more about Rebecca and her books, please click here to visit her website.  You can access extra content (including a play list) on MyKindaBooks here.

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds fab. I have it on my wish list. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very entertaining and a great sequel to Infinite Days! Go read it!

    ReplyDelete