Monday 15 July 2013

Romancing the R.A. Review


Noelle Buckman is looking forward to making a fresh start in college, one that doesn’t involve immature high school boys. The second she steps on campus for freshman orientation, she can sense the possibilities. Especially when she spots Andy, a resident advisor who’s not just hot but also thoughtful enough to open doors for a girl.

And Andy has his eye on Noelle. Even when her nerves take control and she thinks she comes off as a hillbilly with no direction, Andy can see what she’s really like and he’s more than a little interested.

But orientation is less than two full days and there’s an entire summer between Noelle and Andy. Will her attempt to romance the R.A. be as short-lived as college orientation?

The synopsis of this book had me really excited to read it and when I started it, I’d settled in for the night with my hot drink and couple of biscuits.  To my complete and utter surprise, I’d finished the book before I finished my drink.  I had no idea that this was more of a novella length of book and I couldn’t believe it when it ended, as for me the story had JUST gotten started.  I feel like the author was just ‘testing the waters’ with this book but I wish she had taken the risk and written a full length novel for me to devour.  I enjoyed the premise and the characters but it ended up sounding more like a summer romance than anything else and I thought the best part would be when Noelle returned to college for real, only the book ended before we got to that part. 

I loved the chemistry between Andy and Noelle although in my opinion, I did feel like the sex scene was rushed through.  I also didn’t like when Noelle was invited to a social and says something along the lines of she’s not interested if Andy isn’t going to be there. Um, you’re starting college and you don’t know anyone apart from your friend who has accompanied you, why on earth wouldn’t you be interested in meeting new people as this is a major part of going to college, besides you know, getting an education!

So, all in all, Romancing the R.A. had a couple of flaws, the biggest one being that it was too damn short.  It may sound like a negative but it’s actually one of the best compliments the author could get.  Please write more!!!!

Romancing the R.A. was published on 28th May, 2013.  To find out more about Ashelyn Drake and her books, please click here to visit her website.

2 comments: