Sunday 27 January 2013

Letterbox Love (#38)

As always, Letterbox Love is a weekly feature that I'm hosting on the blog and basically, the idea came out of a discussion with other UK book bloggers about the need to do a weekly meme with more of a British feel to it. Therefore, Letterbox Love was born and the logo was lovingly designed by Dark Readers. Letterbox Love is a way for us to share the books that come through our letterbox, galleys and e books (through our electronic letterbox) and any other bookish goodies that we want to tell you about. Letterbox Love is intended to showcase upcoming books and build up some excitement for them as well as let you know what is available out there. It is not about competing with other bloggers or boasting of any kind (c'mon, we're British and we don't do drama!)

Review Books


Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick (Unsolicited)
This is a story about forbidden love between a sixteen year old girl and her teacher.  The fact that the teacher is called Mr Anderson has me in fits of giggles, I suspect mostly because I watched The Matrix last night LOL.

Infinite Sky by C.J. Flood (hardback)
This is a gorgeous hardback of a book I still need to read. 

Unremembered by Jessica Brody
Now, this really IS my kind of book and I did pre order this one back in August last year!  I love a good sci fi where you have to figure out the plot and so this is right up my alley.  Looking forward to reading it. 

 Parallel by Lauren Miller (Unsolicited)
It was quite a surprise to get this as I had no idea that it was being published in the UK. This is a YA version of Sliding Doors (of sorts) as it involves a parallel universe.  I'm curious about the book and had considered pre ordering a hardback.  I think because of the recent space issue on the shelves, I'm going to read the proof first and then decide.
 
Gilt by Katherine Longshore
I've been meaning to read this YA historical for a while now and I'm glad to see that it's being published in the UK. 

Dead to You by Lisa McMann (Unsolicited)
This is another book that I had no idea was being published in the UK.  The story is about Ethan, a boy who is abducted as a child and finds his way back to his real family at the age of sixteen.  Honestly speaking, I don't know if this is the kind of book I would pick up and read but I'm willing to keep an open mind about it.

 
Apollyon by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Oh my goodness, I did Squeal when I opened this package.  It's no secret that I adore this series and so I couldn't wait to get stuck right in.  I've actually just finished reading the book in the wee hours of this morning and it was fantastic.  I can't believe that Sentinel will be the last book in the series and whilst I'm desperate to find out what happens, it will be a bittersweet reading experience as it always is when it's the last book in the series.  Because of that, I'm almost happy to wait for it.  Almost.


 Thank You Publishers!!!


Books Bought

I have a confession to make.  I've recently sorted out my bookshelves and I cannot remember for the life of me whether I had any books bought delivered last week as they've all been put away.  What I will say is that I am once again running out of space and finding it EXTREMELY difficult to cull the books.  I just can't seem to get rid of them :(

EBooks

Hard to Love by Kendall Ryan (Bought)
This has a nursing student in it so of course I wanted to read about that as I've been there, done that.  Sounds like another good girl and bad boy plot but so what, I still want to read it. 

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary. E. Pearson (Bought)
I remember a book blogger once asking me if I'd read this series and that I ought to as it was really good.  I'm finally getting round to purchasing the first book.  I have no idea what to expect from it but I'm definitely curious.

Rule by Jay Crownover (Bought)
I've heard some good things about this book and the author has just released a newly updated version (presumably, it has been edited better).  I'm not sure whether it's mature YA or New Adult but I definitely want to find out. 

The Extraordinary Life of Lara Craft (not Croft) by Lola Salt (Bought)
How could I not buy this when I know that Sarah Alderson is behind it?!  Sounds like a fun read :)

Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman (Bought)
I'll admit, I've never read a Malorie Blackman book but this seemed like a good place to start. 


On Thin Ice by P.J. Sharon (Free) 
This is a YA novel about an ice skater and an older guy.  It's perhaps not a story I would normally go for but it was free and so I thought I may as well give it a go. 

Bedding the Billionaire by Kendra Little (Free)
I'll admit that the only reason I got this was because it was free but what a little gem this book turned out to be.  I really enjoyed the story and all the misunderstandings and downright lies that fueled it.  I could not put this one down and whilst there were a couple of niggles about it, on the whole I enjoyed this :)

I've read some great books this week and have definitely got my reading mojo back even though I was going to try and take some time off from blogging - it may still happen but in the meantime I've got my blogoversary coming up in just a few days and so some sort of contest is in order ;)
I hope you all had a great week for books and please leave your links below.

7 comments:

  1. Wow Gilt looks so good! I didn't realize it had a UK publisher now! Dead to You sounds great! Oh and Drowning Instinct sounds really intriguing to me! Happy Reading

    Check Out My Haul! Letterbox Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wonderful books! I definitely want to read most of these, so I really hope that you're going to enjoy them! :) Happy reading!

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many excellent books! I really want to read Drowning Instinct and Infinite Sky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great haul, Lynsey! I received a hardback copy of Infinite Sky last week, it look so good! :) Happy reading!

    First Class Post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh the cover for Apollyon is gorgeous! I really need to read some Malorie Blackman too, looking forward to your review :-)

    Happy reading! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great haul! Know what you mean about it being hard to cull your books. What if you want to read them again? And how are you supposed to get rid of any of them? Good luck! And enjoy your newest reads!

    My books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the Noughts & Crosses series when I read it, but it's very emotional!
    And I also think of the Matrix whenever a character is called Mr Anderson - I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

    My Letterbox Love post.

    ~Ailsa

    ReplyDelete