Thursday 26 July 2012

Awry Review




“Sometimes love is meant to be. But sometimes...love is the death of you....

Seventeen-year-old Scarlet has just died. Only, dying isn't unusual for a girl under a centuries old curse that left her semi-immortal.

This time, though, she comes back to her current life instead of awaking in a new one, and she realizes the curse is changing. Together with the immortal Archer brothers, Scarlet must piece together her life and try to break the curse before her impending death comes again.”


Awry if of course the second book in the Archers of Avalon series and so it goes without saying that if you haven’t read Anew (glowing review here) then carry on no further as you will likely encounter spoilers.

So, I’ve been DESPERATE to find out what happens next after reading Anew AKA the book I loved like woah, especially with that cliffhanger of an ending!  Chelsea is one of only a handful of authors that make me want to re-read their books and yes, I will admit to re-reading Anew but only because of how awesome it is.  I read Awry in one sitting and loved every minute of it.

All the regular characters are present and Heather continues to crack me up, I love her to pieces!!!  My favourite thing though?  The way Chelsea interlaces the past with the present through alternating chapters and we finally find out how Scarlet came to be engaged to Gabriel and why Tristan is also in love with her.  We also find out about the origins behind THAT tattoo.  I can’t possibly give anything away but it makes for intriguing reading and isn’t what I initially thought.  Let’s just say that it’s SWOONTASTIC (C’mon, it’s Tristan - would you expect any less?!) I am so in love with Tristan at this point, it’s unreal.  I may not be part of the curse but he hurts my heart!

I will admit that I started to doubt Gabriel’s love for Scarlet until I saw the flashbacks and understood everything.  The explanations for what happened were very clever and well executed, that’s for sure.
In Awry, we find out that the curse is changing and in this life, Scarlet can feel everything that Tristan feels (the connection is no longer one way) which again makes for VERY INTERESTING READING but also throws everything into turmoil and suddenly, it’s not just Scarlet’s life that hangs in the balance unless they find that bloody fountain.  Yes, it shall now be named “that bloody fountain” which remains elusive in its location. The curse is not the only threat to Scarlet and the Archer brothers however as the ashmen are still around and the source of the threat might be a bit too close to home for comfort.

I have to end on my favourite part of the entire book and that, surprisingly, is the ending – you’ll see why.  My heart swelled and soared at Scarlet’s last words and I CANNOT WAIT to read the next book.   Seriously.

Overall, Awry is a very worthy sequel and I adore this series too much for words.  I’ve recently found out that the film and TV rights have been sold (OMG YES!) and I hope, hope, hope that something comes of it.  Do yourself a favour and start reading this series now before it hits the big screen.  It’s so worth it.  

Awry was published on 10th June, 2012.  To find out more about Chelsea Fine and her books, please click here to visit her website and here  to visit the series website. Chelsea is also active on Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads.


No comments:

Post a Comment