Sunday 14 February 2010

Hush Hush Review


Are angels the new vampires/werewolves/faeries? You’ll certainly think so when you read Hush Hush, the debut novel from Becca Fitzpatrick. I defy you not to identify with the main protagonist Nora or fall in love with Patch, the book’s “bad boy” by the end. I’d heard a lot of good reports about this book and picked it up because a) I LOVE the cover art and b) I wanted to know what all the fuss was about. Was it worth the read? HELL YES or should that be heaven yes? ;)

Hush Hush is told through Nora’s point of view and she is an example of a strong, female protagonist who doesn’t need anyone to rescue her, she can handle things just fine. She works hard in school and has her head screwed on. Only problem is, she is a magnet for trouble. Whether it’s the attention of the new bad boy Patch or the mysterious, masked stranger who is everywhere she looks and leaves a trail of destruction behind them. FYI I’m deliberately not telling you much about the story because I’ve read a lot of reviews lately which spoil all the surprises. I want you to be curious about the story and go and read it for yourself.

Hush Hush is well written and has good characterisation. My favourite character has to be Patch. He was moody, mysterious, brooding and complex with an edge of danger about him. Basically, any girl’s dream guy! I really enjoyed the contrast of fear and desire that Nora feels for Patch, thus creating tension and lust in the scenes they share together. Vee is an amusing sidekick and I totally picture Rayanne (the main character Angela’s best friend) from “My So Called Life” (1994). I don’t know why?!

For me, this was one of those “Just another chapter” kind of books. You know the kind, where it’s getting late and you need to get to bed only you can’t put the book down. “Just another chapter” you say to yourself.....and suddenly, before you know it, its 2am and you have to be up again in 6 hours!

I loved every minute of reading this book (which took all of a day, day and a half), it was an easy read and highly enjoyable. I loved the fact that just over halfway through the book; I still really didn’t know what was going on and I didn’t guess the ending. It did leave a lot of unanswered questions for me but I’m assuming that this is tactical and these issues will be addressed in the sequel “Crescendo” which comes out 30th September, 2010. It’s definitely in my diary and I’m hoping it will be in yours now too! I personally CANNOT wait for this book and I heard a rumour that Becca is coming to the UK this year and I’ll be planning a trip with my best book pal to go see her. In the meantime, you can follow her on Twitter or Facebook.

I think you can probably guess by now that I highly recommend this book. If you liked Twilight (by Stephenie Meyer) and Shiver (by Maggie Stiefvater), you will like this. Promise.

2 comments:

  1. I NEARLY bought this the other day, I'll definitely will some other time now...great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Rhiana, it made my day! It's definitely worth reading and I've just bought a copy for my sister as her birthday is next month. I know she'll love it :)

    ReplyDelete