Saturday 21 July 2012

Rapture Review




“The sky is dark with wings . . . .

Like sand in an hourglass, time is running out for Luce and Daniel. To stop Lucifer from erasing the past they must find the place where the angels fell to earth. Dark forces are after them, and Daniel doesn’t know if he can do this—live only to lose Luce again and again.

Yet together they will face an epic battle that will end with lifeless bodies . . . and angel dust. Great sacrifices are made. Hearts are destroyed. And suddenly Luce knows what must happen.

For she was meant to be with someone other than Daniel. The curse they’ve borne has always and only been about her—and the love she cast aside. The choice she makes now will be the only one that truly matters.

In the fight for Luce, who will win?

The astonishing conclusion to the FALLEN series. Heaven can’t wait any longer.”


I’m guessing you’re reading this review because you’ve read the first three books in the Fallen series, yes?  If not, you need to leave right now and stop trying to spoil the ending for yourself because ultimately, it’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey.

Rapture is of course the final book in the Fallen series and the stunning conclusion to not just Luce and Daniel’s story but the fate of the world itself as everything hangs in the balance. Luce, Daniel and the gang are trying to stop Lucifer's fall which will erase everything that has come before it, including their relationship.  They are forced to go on a quest and seek out relics to help them as well as meet others along the way who have no interest in stopping anything but them.

 Picture the scene.  It’s a little after midnight and I’m sitting here in near darkness trying to gain some coherence whilst simultaneously mopping up tears after reading Rapture.  The beauty of the ending in particular has me bawling my eyes out.  I want to try and explain my relationship with the Fallen series because we have had a relationship.  I liken it to that with my boyfriend.  Whilst I continue to love him, he does frustrate me so at times and never has a book series evoked such frustration from me.   So many secrets, so many “we can’t tell you’s”, so many “you must discover it on your own”.  Fuck that, if I were Luce I totally would have googled.

 The point is, as a reader I never had a clue what was going on or more specifically, I could not see the big picture until the last few pages of the final book.  That structure works during the course of book one but NOT FOUR or else the hounds of frustration are unleashed and eat away at your soul.  Know what I’m saying?!

Having said all of this, it sounds like I didn’t enjoy the story when on the contrary, I did!  The big twist at the end wasn’t an overwhelming shocker to me and whilst I suspect I had known for some time (there were definitely some hints), I didn’t see all the details.  There were a couple of characters that I would have liked to see have a happier ending but I’m not bitter about it.

Rapture brings a gorgeous end to the series and the divine explanations were plausible and well thought out on the surface.  I loved the explanation of “the beginning” and the ending wins the most incredibly romantic part of a book EVER award.  With regards to the frustration (see above) it does make me wonder though if Lauren knew where she was going from the start or just bullshitted her way to the finish line.  Either way, bravo Lauren.  Bravo.

Rapture was published on 12th June, 2012.  To find out more about Lauren Kate and her books, please click here to visit her website.   I don't like the UK trailer so I'm posting the Australian one which I LOVE:


4 comments:

  1. Great review, Lynsey! I've been wanting to know your thoughts on Rapture since you tweeted like, ages ago, about your review being interesting!

    I've kinda felt frustrated about things as well, which is why I chose not to read Rapture until I heard about what people thought about it. I just wasn't sure if it'd be worth it (continuing the series) if I'd just feel like I'm wasting my time, but you'll be pleased to know I'm leaning towards getting a copy soon because omg romantic parts FTW.

    Apologies if none of that made sense, haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think it's worth all the frustration Iffath, simply for the heartbreakingly beautiful ending to the series. Go read it, girl!

      Delete
  2. I agree, that ending was beautiful and epic! I actually didn't see that twist coming so it was pretty shocking and mind blowing for me. Despite all of the frustrations throughout the whole series, I'm glad I continued to keep going until the end. Great review!:))

    ReplyDelete