Wednesday 23 May 2012

Waiting on Wednesday

 

"Waiting On Wednesday" is a weekly event, originally started by Jill at Breaking the Spine , that highlights upcoming book releases everyone is waiting on...hence the title. This week's pick is The Program by Suzanne Young. Here's the synopsis:

"SLOANE KNOWS BETTER THAN TO CRY IN FRONT OF ANYONE.

With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.

Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in.

AND THE PROGRAM IS COMING FOR THEM."


I love the dystopian feel to this book but also the fact that it deals with a subject matter that is relevant NOW.  It sounds like society doesn't know how to deal with the suicide epidemic so they've come up with this "brain rinsing" procedure as a cure-all but the sacrifice sounds a little too great to me - yeah your kid doesn't have depression anymore but hey, they're not exactly your kid anymore either.  I think it sounds super interesting either way and I'm definitely intrigued to read it.  I'll admit that whilst I have Suzanne's other books, I haven't started reading them yet although I've only heard good things.  This is definitely going on my wish list.   

The Program is published in April, 2013 with no news as of yet of a UK release.  Here's hoping! 

3 comments:

  1. Not heard of this, but it definitely looks good. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This ones on my list as well. Has been sense Presenting Lenore's Dystopian Feb. *hugs all the dystopias*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I didn't realise the release date was so far away :( Great pick - it sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete