Friday 24 February 2012

His Kiss Review

I’m not normally the type of person who buys cheap e-books because I’ve got nothing else to read or whatever, I mean HELLO?! Have you SEEN my TBR pile?! But, I do like seeing what Amazon has to offer for the kindle every now and then as there are often bargains to be had and for some strange reason, I have the compulsion to buy e-books of the same books I have on my shelves. Personally, I think you should get a free digital copy when you buy the printed version but I think I will be saying that until the day I die and with no results. Anyway, I digress. I came across this e-book with 8 separate reviews all giving the book five stars. Knowing what I know now, I still have a healthy dose of scepticism (are the reviews written by friends?) but I was still curious. I read the sample pages and WHAM, I was hooked and desperate to read more and at only 77p? Who can argue with that?! I have to say that I really enjoyed the story. Was it perfect? Nope. Was it the best thing I’d ever read? Absolutely not. But, Melanie writes lust and forbidden romance VERY, VERY well and that totally floats my boat. Here’s the synopsis:

“Ally’s world was totally on track: the right boyfriend, the right school committees, the right plans. But then she kisses the school “bad boy.” And now nothing is right. Nothing! Because all she can think about is … His Kiss.”

I’m going to start with the positive things. I REALLY enjoyed Griffin’s character who plays for the school Ice Hockey team and is generally considered the token bad boy. So naturally, he is all kinds of hot and yes, I was already swooning. And no, of course I totally wasn’t imagining a young Channing Tatum in that role AT ALL. The story is told from Ally’s perspective and I have to say that I would have absolutely loved to have seen things from Griffin’s point of view sometimes which also would have given us a better insight into him as a person instead of just being the token bad boy.

Ally seems indecisive and immature at times for her age however she sounds like a sheltered teenager so I have no problem with her voice, based on that assumption. What I did have a problem with is this - is it just me or does it seem incredibly lame to leave cookies and other baked goods taped to the locker of the boy you like? Is this an American thing? As if I wasn’t cringing enough, she then starts leaving gummy bears attached to his windshield. Girlfriend *shakes head* NO, just NO.

The plot is very simplistic (which is fine) and basically this is a character driven, teen romance. His Kiss is a novella at 130 pages and so it was a quick read. Sometimes, this can be a good thing but I really wanted more! The ending was quite abrupt and the whole thing felt unfinished which left me feeling a bit unsatisfied.

His Kiss is a sweet story that I really enjoyed and would recommend to others, despite its flaws. I’m definitely interested to check out some of her other work as I do believe that Melanie has talent.

To find out more about Melanie and her books, please click here to visit her website.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, thank you for this review! I often buy Kindle books like this one, and based on your review I'm definitely adding it to my wishlist...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thanks Luisa. I'm still thinking about the book says later so she definitely did something right!

      Delete