Monday 1 October 2012

Letterbox Love (#22)

As always, Letterbox Love is a weekly feature that I'm hosting on the blog and basically, the idea came out of a discussion with other UK book bloggers about the need to do a weekly meme with more of a British feel to it.  Therefore, Letterbox Love was born and the logo was lovingly designed by Dark Readers.  Letterbox Love is a way for us to share the books that come through our letterbox, galleys and e books (through our electronic letterbox) and any other bookish goodies that we want to tell you about.  Letterbox Love is intended to showcase upcoming books and build up some excitement for them as well as let you know what is available out there.  It is not about competing with other bloggers or boasting of any kind (c'mon, we're British and we don't do drama!)

So, as you might have seen on Twitter, I have been working ALL WEEKEND, including a 14 hour shift yesterday and so I did not have a decent opportunity to put this post up, hence it being here on a Monday so apologies for that but sometimes life gets in the way of blogging!

Review Books



The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
I have heard SO MUCH about this book that I can't believe I haven't read it yet.  Obviously, I'd like to read the book before the movie comes out and so I'm glad to have been sent this.

Darkness, Be My Friend by John Marsden
This is the fourth book in a series I have not read and have no interest in reading.  If anyone is desperate to have it because they just can't wait to read it, then please let me know.

Thank you publishers!!



Books Bought


Insurgent by Veronica Roth
So, I had a little sort out of the shelves the other day and realised (to my sheer horror) that I did not have a US hardback copy of Insurgent.  I could have sworn that I did and so unless pixies have stolen it, I have no idea what happened there.  I had to rectify this immediately and found a copy online to buy.

Entice by Jessica Shirvington
I LOVE THIS BOOK SERIES but I prefer the US covers hence my reason for buying the US hardback (also, I love hardbacks).  I've just finished reading this and loved every minute of it.

Fathomless by Jackson Pearce
I remember liking Sisters Red and I do like Jackson's online presence.  I still have to read Sweetly but I wanted to get this because it's about mermaids and I'm still looking for a good mermaid book!

For Darkness Shows The Stars by Diana PeterFreund
To start, I want you to know that I love both the cover and the title of this book.  This is a futuristic re-telling of Persuasion by Jane Austen and so.....SOLD!  I've seen nothing but five star reviews for the book and the characters are 18 years old which means that it's more New Adult or Older YA which sounds good to me!

Nerve by Jeanne Ryan
This is billed as an unputdownable suspense thriller about a high stakes online game of dares which turns deadly.  It sounds like a movie I watched once although I can't for the life of me remember the name of it but I do like the sound of this.


So Close to You by Rachel Carter
You know why I bought this one?  It's been compared to The Time Traveler's Wife, it's Sci Fi and has a time travel aspect.  There's also a bit of romance. One word for you: SOLD!  I understand it's part of a trilogy and I've got really high hopes for this one.

Books Bought



Overseas by Beatriz Williams
This is an adult book and it's about time travel.  I've been lusting after this book since I first heard about it but it didn't have a UK publisher (it still doesn't) and the book was way too expensive.  It's come down in price a little bit so I caved and bought it.

The Curiosities by Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton and Brenna Yovanoff
As I'm sure everyone and their dog knows, I'm a huge fan of Maggie Stiefvater and I also enjoy Tessa Gratton's books.  I still have to read a Brenna book but I do have some on the shelves!  Anyway, I'd been meaning to buy this book for a long time but I had forgotten until my good friend and fellow UK book blogger Liz showed me her copy and I promptly started drooling.  These three ladies are critique partners and have been part of The Merry Sisters of Fate for a long time now.  This is a collection of stories from them and let me tell you, that this book is BEAUTIFUL.  Not only is it a larger book but the ladies have drawn and hand written notes by their stories which I greatly appreciate.  LOVE the look of this book.

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang
This is the US hardback edition (naturally) and actually, I'd forgotten that I had pre-ordered this. 



E-Books

Nightingale by Dawn Rae Miller (Bought)
I cannot tell you how much I loved Larkstorm (actually, I tried in this review here) and I have been desperate to read the sequel ever since.  It's finally here!!  I'm planning on buying the paperback version too but the kindle version was released first.  There is also a novella available entitled Before and I have of course read that too.  I'm reading this next.

Down To You by M. Leighton (Bought)
I recently read The Wild Ones by M. Leighton and whilst I pointed out some flaws within the book, I cannot deny that it was highly entertaining and I couldn't stop reading it.  Therefore, I wanted to give her books another go and thought this one would be perfect.  I do have reservations about two brother with names that rhyme as this has the potential to confuse the reader but hey, ho, trying to keep an open mind here. 

Decked with Holly by Marni Bates (Bought)
I'm always overjoyed to discover a YA Christmas story and I'm ecstatic to find this one.   It starts on a cruise ship (WOOHOO) and it sounds like a cute read.

Girl Heart Boy by Ali Cronin (Bought)
This book sounded interesting, was only 49p and apparently the e-version contains some exclusive x- rated scenes. 

Dear Agent by Nicola Morgan (Bought)
Most of you probably know that I like to write and I thought this book would be useful, especially as I have other books by Nicola Morgan which are very helpful.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to go through my shelves again and start getting ruthless.  I've also got a ton of books to give to my sister as I got her into reading the same things when I first started blogging.  I'm still torn as to whether to simply buy e-books and I don't think I can ever give up the hardbacks completely.  I'm too far gone LOL.   In case you're wondering what I'm reading this week, I've just started Nightingale (as mentioned) by Dawn Rae Miller and I really want to get started on Crewel by Gennifer Albin.  What are you reading?  Hope you had a great week for books and as always, please feel free to leave your links.

4 comments:

  1. Great haul, Lynsey! I'm so looking forward to reading Perks and What's Left of Me! I like the sound of Fathomless, too! Happy reading!

    First Class Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get into Perks which makes me sad! :(

      Delete
  2. Holy cow! How many have you bought this week woman? I like the sound of the Jackson Pierce one, and For Darkness Shows the Stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some are pre-orders Viv and they mount up without me knowing sometimes ;)

      Delete