Wednesday 21 April 2010

Angel Star Review

I took my review down temporarily as I did not realise that in my description of the book, I had unwittingly posted spoilers. The plot is somewhat complex and I was having trouble coming up with a synopsis. In getting it straight in my own head I posted what I thought the book was about without realising that I was giving almost everything away. I promised from the beginning that I would never intentionally spoil a book for readers and so here is the amended review...

If you know me at all, you will know that I have been absolutely dying (no pun intended) to read this book and thanks to the very lovely Jennifer Murgia, she got me on an ARC tour so I could do just that. I received it and read it the same day. I was not disappointed.

Angel Star tells the story from the eyes of 17 year old Teagan who falls head over heels for the new guy at Carver High, Garreth Adams. After saving her from a near fatal accident, his true identity and purpose for being here is revealed. Several startling discoveries later, Teagan unwittingly becomes the star player in leading a battle to restore balance to heaven and earth.

I instantly loved the premise of this story and I can totally see how easy it would be to fall in love with your guardian angel or vice versa. I mean your guardian angel is supposed to know you inside and out, spend lifetimes with you and love you unconditionally. What better description is there of a soul mate than that?! I really liked the prologue which gave me no clue as to which character was speaking, thus leaving me to come to the inevitable wrong conclusion! Rather than being disappointed by this, I love it when I’m wrong and a book can surprise me.

I’d say this book was plot driven but I found the characters to be enjoyable too. I loved the camaraderie between Teagan and her best friend Claire. I thought the dialogue and interaction between them was very natural and believable. Hadrian is a powerful, alluring and tempting bad boy who reminded me a bit of Damon from the Vampire Diaries. Garreth, what can I say about Garreth? He’s a beautiful angel with a pure soul.

Jennifer has created her own mythology in Angel Star that essentially explains that life is about balance. No yin without yang, no light without dark and no good without evil. It’s an interesting concept although ultimately it means that good cannot triumph over evil and I have a slight problem with that! So, I'm excited to see where Jennifer will go with the story.

Angel star takes you on a journey heavily laden with twists and turns and the ending hints that the story is not over yet. Indeed, Lemniscate (the sequel) is currently in the pipeline.

If I had one criticism about Angel Star, it would be the brief use of text speak within the book. Mostly because I am not a big fan of text speak, I don’t use it and at times I had to guess what it meant! Regardless of this, overall I found the book to be a very enjoyable read and I will be buying my own copy on release day.

Angel Star by Jennifer Murgia is released on 18th May, 2010. Jennifer is active on twitter, facebook and Goodreads. Click here to visit her website.

11 comments:

  1. OMG, I want to read that book soo much! But since I live in Sweden, I can't. Because they don't sell that book here yet. My body aches to read it, and after reading your review I want to read it even more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Therese, I'm so glad you want to read the book!! There is a contest on Goodreads at the moment to win a copy of the book and you should look around for ARC tours. Google it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, to be on an ARC tour. One day. One day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate,click on the International Book Tours icon to the right or google ARC tours to get yourself on some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I’m happy that you enjoy Angel Star as much as I did. Jennifer Murgia is a great author and I can’t wait to read what she will publish next. Hope is Ok with you but I think and Spoiler Alert will be nice because the review contains so many key factors of the story it maybe ruins the story for some readers.


    Sincerely
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, im glad you enjoyed it, i want to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great review. It's always good to know in advance that there is a sequel already in the works:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I almost regret reading this review. Why? Because it's making me hunger for this book ten times more than I already was!! And I've been hugely anticipating having this in my hot little hands LOL. But wow, this sounds amazing. Excellent review, I have a feeling I'm going to love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review! I've yet to read any guardian angel stories, but Angel Star sounds cool. Hee, I rarely use text speak myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review. I enjoyed this book as well. I cannot wait to get a copy of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've put this book on my radar and I'm definitely going to have to read it. I can't get enough of guardian angel stories. The hero sounds very swoon worthy. :)

    ReplyDelete