Sunday 22 December 2013

Letterbox Love (#80)

As always, Letterbox Love is a weekly feature that I'm hosting on the blog and basically, the idea came out of a discussion with other UK book bloggers about the need to do a weekly meme with more of a British feel to it. Therefore, Letterbox Love was born and the logo was lovingly designed by Dark Readers. Letterbox Love is a way for us to share the books that come through our letterbox, galleys and e books (through our electronic letterbox) and any other bookish goodies that we want to tell you about. Letterbox Love is intended to showcase upcoming books and build up some excitement for them as well as let you know what is available out there. It is not about competing with other bloggers or boasting of any kind (c'mon, we're British and we don't do drama!)

Review Books


 Junk Miles by Liz Reinhardt (Unsolicited)
This is book two in the Brenna Blixen series and if I'm honest, I'm not even sure I was sent the first one as I definitely haven't read it.  

Slow Twitch by Liz Reinhardt (Unsolicited)
Book three in the series.  See above.

Darkest Fear by Cate Tiernan (Unsolicited)
So this sounds a little weird - a romantic story where the MC turns into a jaguar.  I've seen mixed reviews for this one and I'm not entirely sure it's for me.  I might try it and see though.

Longbourn by Jo Baker (Unsolicited)
This book is the servant's story from Pride and Prejudice.  Although I love Pride and Prejudice, I'm not sure I want to take precious reading time away from books I really want to read to read this.


Salvage by Keren David (Unsolicited)
To be quite honest, this is not my kind of book at all and sadly I don't have enough time to read books I'm not mad about.  One for the library.

 God's War by Kameron Hurley (Unsolicited)
 Not sure this is a book for me so probably one for the library.


Thank You Publishers!!!



Books Bought


These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
This book has one of the best covers I've seen this year but it was mainly the plot that drew me in - a YA sci fi with romantic elements? I'm all over this book and am thinking this is probably going to be a Christmas read for me. 


Save With Jamie by Jamie Oliver
Jamie Oliver is my favourite chef and I love his recipes.  I'm always interested in ways to save money, especially where food is concerned and this book was on offer when I bought it.
 
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
I still haven't read this yet but I found a hardback that was on sale and snapped it up.
 
The Art of Marriage by Catherine Blyth
I'm always interested in the secret to a long lasting marriage and this book was on sale.



EBooks

Christmas Gluten Free Me by Laura Pope (Bought)
I'm sure you all know by now that I'm gluten intolerant and there aren't a great deal of gluten free Christmas cookbooks available but I found this one that had some great reviews.  I won't necessarily be reviewing it but you never know, I might.

Tears of Tess by Pepper Winters (Bought)
As you might know, I'm fascinated with Stockholm Syndrome and this book explores that.  I've been warned that it's a bit dark but I really enjoyed Captive in the Dark by C.J. Roberts and I see this as a similar book. 

Quintessentially Q by Pepper Winters (Bought)
This is the sequel to the above.


Fifteen Days Without a Head by Dave Cousins (Bought)
I've heard about this book before and how funny it is and so whilst it's currently on sale, I snapped it up. 

Meta by Tom Reynolds (Bought)
I think this sounds really interesting and has had some great reviews.


Be More Chill by Ned Vizzini (Bought)
I do love the sound of this book and obviously the untimely death of the author led me to his work.


Alone by Ned Vizzini (Bought)
If I'm completely honest, this is a little bit of a morbid buy especially in light of the recently untimely death of the author.  This is the last thing he wrote and I'm curious to know what was going on inside his head. 

Over the River and Through the Woods by Lacey Weatherford (Bought)
This is a cute Christmas YA read from Lacey and is perfect for the holiday season.

A Reclusive Heart by R.L. Matthewson (Bought)
I love the sound of this book but I'm disappointed to find out that it's the second book in a series. I'm guessing it can be read as a standalone but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just read the first book. 


The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (Bought)
I've never read a Neil Gaiman book but this was on sale and I thought I would give it a go.

The Christmas Cottage by Samantha Chase (Bought)
This is a cheap Christmas read and it sounds cute.

 
No Naughties at Christmas by Tarja Moles (Bought)
No Naughties by Tarja Moles (Bought)
No Naughties Pancakes by Tarja Moles (Bought)

These gluten free cookbooks had great reviews/ratings and so I thought I would give them a go.

200 Gluten Free Recipes by Hamlyn Cookbooks (Bought)
I bought this because of the reviews/ratings.


Heir Untamed by Danielle Bourdon (Free)
Hot royals? I'm so there.


Love and Decay Volume One by Rachel Higginson (Free)
I think this sounds so interesting and I definitely want to read it but I hate that it's serialised and would rather wait for everything to be lumped together in one book.  This is the next best thing as it's episodes 1-6 but I'm pissed off at having to buy separate episodes and sometimes that's enough for me not to read any further.


Salt by Danielle Ellison (Netgalley - For Review)
So I know this author and have actually beta read for her in the past.  I'm immensely curious about this book. 

Where You'll Find Me by Erin Fletcher (Netgalley - For Review)
I really like the sound of a guy living in your garage.  I know that sounds weird but it makes me think of Santa Claus the movie where the girl hides the homeless boy in the basement.  Definitely curious about this one. 

Ruined by Jus Accardo (Netgalley - For Review) 
I LOVE the sound of this book - it has everything I'm interested in and I'm curious to know whether I'll like it.  

Kiss Me at Midnight by Diane Alberts (Netgalley - For Review)
This is a contemporary romance/erotica novel and what I liked about it was it's set around New Year's Eve.  I also like the author. 

The Sunbird by Elizabeth Wein (Netgalley - For Review)
When I requested this book, I thought it was the newest offering from Elizabeth Wein, author of Code Name Verity.  It is - BUT - this is the third book in a fantasy series of hers that I haven't read so sadly, I'm not going to be able to read and review as I don't have the time to invest in the series, especially when I already have books waiting for me that I KNOW I want to read. 

Master of the Opera, Act 3: Phantom Serenade by Jeffe Kennedy (Netgalley - For Review)
The Phantom of the Opera is one of my very favourite stories and this series is based on that story.  I have the first two to read but unlike the above, it's something I am immediately interested in. 

Year of No Sugar by Eve O Schaub (Netgalley - For Review)
This is a really unusual request for me as this is a non-fiction book but I'm immensely curious about the effects of sugar on the body and I wanted to know HOW someone could go a year without sugar and what happened because of it.


Eversea by Natasha Boyd (Netgalley - For Review)
I've only just realised that I already have this on my kindle as I bought it some time ago LOL.  Oops.




I'm not sure yet whether this will be the last Letterbox Love until the new year but I guess it depends on what's happening and where I am next week.  If I can get to a computer and I have the time, then the post will go up but I won't guarantee it at this stage.  Like everyone else, this is a very busy time for me and sometimes your life and your happiness has to come first. 


Having said all that, I do hope that you have a fantastic Christmas and get lots of bookish goodies!  I would love it if you would share the link to your own Letterbox Love post below.  Thank you :)

1 comment:

  1. What a nice collection of books! Pride & Prejudice is one of my favorite books, so might take a look at Longbourn. Thanks for sharing, and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete