Tuesday 5 July 2011

Original Sin Review

With a title like Original Sin, you’d expect this book to sizzle like a fried egg on a car bonnet during a Texas Summer AND YOU’D BE RIGHT. Let’s just say that sex is abundant and not always between the people you would expect *gasp* *shock* *horror*. The heat is most definitely ON and I loved every minute of it.

Really I should start by saying hands down that this is absolutely one of my FAVOURITE book series ever and out of all my literary boyfriends (and there are many) Luc tops the bill. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would EVER fall for a demon but then I guess the thought probably crossed Frannie’s mind at some point too! I absolutely LOVED Personal Demons and could not wait to get my hands on Original Sin. Because Lisa Desrochers is not only a fantastic author but also an awesome lady, she sent me a galley of Original Sin and despite an overwhelming TBR pile, I just couldn’t stay away from it (such is the alluring power of Luc). I felt like Personal Demons was more Luc’s story but Original Sin is definitely Frannie’s. If for some weird reason you haven’t read the first book Personal Demons (what the hell? GET TO IT), then I would HIGHLY suggest you do before reading this review. Still with me? Excellent! Now before we go any further, here’s the synopsis:

“Luc Cain was born and raised in Hell, but he isn’t feeling as demonic as usual lately—thanks to Frannie Cavanaugh and the unique power she never realized she had. But you can’t desert Hell without consequences, and suddenly Frannie and Luc find themselves targeted by the same demons who used to be Luc’s allies.

Left with few options, Frannie and Luc accept the protection of Heaven and one of its most powerful angels, Gabe. Unfortunately, Luc isn’t the only one affected by Frannie, and it isn’t long before Gabe realizes that being around her is too…tempting. Rather than risk losing his wings, he leaves Frannie and Luc under the protection of her recently-acquired guardian angel.

Which would be fine, but Gabe is barely out the door before an assortment of demons appears—and they’re not leaving without dragging Luc back to Hell with them. Hell won’t give up and Heaven won’t give in. Frannie’s guardian exercises all the power he has to keep them away, but the demons are willing to hurt anyone close to Frannie in order to get what they want. It will take everything she has and then some to stay out of Hell’s grasp.

And not everyone will get out of it alive.”

I read Original Sin on the plane to and from BEA. Yes, I dragged it to the US even though I knew I was going to come home with tons of books and would have to carefully consider weight restrictions AND even though I knew that I was going to be able to pick up a copy at BEA. *THAT’S* how much I wanted to read it. I was incredibly lucky to meet Lisa at BEA who signed my books *squeee* and we ended up having a drink in the cafeteria, talking about books and writing. She was a good girl though and wouldn’t give me any juicy info about the third book, even the title which was formerly known as Hellbent.

Let me tell you that Original Sin was just as good as Personal Demons although in Original Sin, I think that Gabe is more appealing somehow. Maybe it’s the whole “resisting temptation” persona but I liked him a lot more this time around. He wasn’t around all that much and his absence left a hole big enough for us to still constantly think about him so in a way, he was always around. And in a way, he is. He’s an angel after all so I’m sure he was watching ;)

Speaking of angels, if I ever had the chance to speak to Matt, me and him would be exchanging some stern words. Matt is of course Frannie’s twin brother who was sent back to earth as Frannie’s guardian angel. His job is to protect her but let’s not forget that he is also a teenage boy and is introduced to a potential love interest. If I say the words GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME BOY I think that is sufficient explanation. Lili is the girl in question and she is Luc’s new neighbour. Obviously, she knows nothing about Luc or Frannie or even Matt and although she comes across as a lonely figure, little do we know that she is hiding secrets of her own.

Taylor is still causing her own unique brand of trouble which finally comes to a head and Frannie is learning more about how to use her abilities. There’s also a few revelations along the way and the ending? OMG THE ENDING!!!!!!!! I’m guessing I don’t need to tell you how much I want to read the next book?

Original Sin is published in the US on 5th July, 2011. WE STILL NEED A UK PUBLISHER!!!!! To find out more about Lisa and her books, please click here to visit her website. Also, click here to visit her awesome blog.

5 comments:

  1. Argh I really need to get round to Personal Demons! Great review...love the first line :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this series before. The cover would have put me off if you hadn't have said how good it is. It looks so dated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great review! I must give this one a go! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I absolutely adore your enthusiasm for this book! I recently read Personal Demons and while I did enjoy it, I wasn't DYING to read the sequel as yet. But after your review, I'm a bit more excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your comments, this is one of my most favourite book series EVER and you all must read it!!!

    ReplyDelete